Thursday, September 17, 2015

There Goes The Neighborhood 

        Two different groups or societies coming together can be very beneficial or extremely bad. What that depends on is whether the new societies intentions are good or harmful. There is always a huge risk to letting new societies come in and try and be a part or an existing society. 
        Besides the Native American and English situations, there are also many other cases of this. 
For example, the gang violence in Chicago. There are very distinct areas that each gang controls, just like the English and Native Americans. They also have "wars" and fight over which territory will stay or become "theirs". This is a more modern take on what happened back then.
          But as bad as mixing two cultures and societies can be, there can also be some very good outcomes. Another example, let's just say that the English men's intentions were good and to make peace with the Natives. The society they could have discovered and built together probably could've conquered the world. With the high tech (at the time) supplies and the Native's knowledge of the world that they live in and basic ways to survive with nothing would've been such an amazing mix and learning experience. 

4 comments:

  1. The comparison between the Europeans and gang violence was a great way to convey the image of conflict over territory, considering that each situation happened in completely different time periods. It show that these issues still linger in our world today but are handled differently than they were before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you in that two different groups coming together may be both good and bad. I like the way you showed that by explaining gang violence in Chicago. It is fascinating to think that even today, at a different time and location, we can find similar situations to what Europeans faced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the comparison that you made with the gangs in Chicago and the Natives and Europeans is a very interesting take on things and I can definitely see the similarities that you described. I agree with the last paragraph and I believe that we all just need to be kind and accepting and when we do, great and amazing changes will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said about the violence in Chicago and your comparison towards the natives. The similarities are very abstract and not many would think of them the way you did.

    ReplyDelete